Council No. 3205 Knights of Columbus was organized on February 20, 1949. The Charter carries twenty-nine insurance members and five associate members.The formation of a Knights of Columbus Council at Texas A&M had long been a dream of Msgr. J.B. Gleissner, the Aggie Chaplain, who spent forty-six years as chaplain and close friend of students. He expressed his feelings about such a council to a few Newman Club and faculty members in the Fall of 1948 and within a few days efforts were under way to select a steering committee. On Wednesday, January 12, 1949, the steering committee met with Past State Deputy F. l Kinane; District 9 Deputy Joseph Havel of Bryan and elected the following temporary officers:
- Rev. Timothy Valenta, Chaplain
- Lt. Col. Water H. Parsons, Jr., Grand Knight
- Patrick H. Ramsey, Secretary
- Dr. E.M. Hildebrand
- C.R. Frias
- S.L. KucherRa, Jr.
- Sam Liberto, Jr. as trustees.
By January 16, 1949, twenty-one names consisting of thirteen applicants and eight transfers were submitted to the District Deputy and the date for the installation. Before the date of installation the above number was increased to twenty-four candidates and eighteen transfers for a total of forty-two members.
The initiation ceremonies were held on February 20, 1949, at the Monsignor Gleissner Council Hall in Bryan, Texas, where three degrees were conferred in one day under the direction of R. Conroy Scoggins, State Deputy for Texas, assisted by Past State Deputy F.J. Kinane, Past District Deputy Sam Liberto, and District Deputy Joseph Havel. The class was named in honor of Rt. Rev. Msgr. JB. Gleissner.
For many years the council met in the basement of the old St. Mary’s Chapel. After the Catholic Student Center was built by the State Council of Knights of Columbus the council moved to that building and continued to meet there regularly.
After the growth spread of Catholic students at Texas A&M, meetings were moved to the upstairs chapel in St. Mary’s Church. The meetings were held there until the move was made to St. Thomas Aquinas. At St. Thomas Aquinas the council continued to grow and prosper. In the Spring of 1985, thirty-five members met and decided to form a Fourth Degree Assembly. The Assembly was named after Msgr. Timothy J. Valenta and was Chartered in November of 1985. This brought to full circle our principles: Charity – Unity – Fraternity and Patriotism.It would take much more space than is available in the program to record the accomplishments of the many Grand Knights who have served during the past fifty years. That they have served well and conscientiously is evidenced by the fact that the council is strong in every respect today and is carrying on the traditions of their fore-bearers. This council of Catholic men has devoted its efforts to the greater honor and glory of God and shown its loyalty and devotion to Holy Mother Church, through its pledge of fidelity to the Pastors of St. Thomas Aquinas and the Bishop of Austin.